Vegan Bánh Mì Sandwiches with Tahini Mayo Slaw
You have to make this sandwich for lunch! The Tahini Mayo Slaw is light and crunchy and the pickled veggies are tangy and crisp. They both compliment the flavorful seared tofu and make one of the most perfect sandwiches we’ve ever tasted! We think it’s worthy of taking an afternoon off for a picnic in the park.
- 1 daikon or red radish, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 2 carrots, sliced into thin matchsticks
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- Dash of sugar
- 14 ounce block of extra firm tofu
- 4 Tbsp hoisin sauce + ¼ cup
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
1-2 Tbsp sesame oil
- ½ cup Soom Premium Tahini
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
2-4 Tbsp cold water to thin
- sea salt + pepper to taste
- Optional: sriracha
- 3-4 cups cabbage, shredded
- Large baguette, cut into 4 even pieces
- Fresh cilantro & lime for topping
For the Pickled Veggies
For the Tofu
For the Tahini Mayo Slaw
To Prep Ahead
For the pickled veggies: Place sliced veggies in large mason jars, then pour in rice vinegar, water and sugar. If needed, add more water until the veggies are covered. Shake lightly to mix. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- To marinate the tofu: Press out the excess water by placing the block of tofu in a clean cloth or between two sheets of paper towel. Slice eight ½” slabs. Place tofu in a shallow dish and spread with hoisin sauce and coconut aminos. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Once ready to serve sandwiches, make the tahini mayo: Place tahini, oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and optional sriracha in a high powered blender. Blend until smooth. Slowly stream in water to thin until desired consistency is reached. Taste, and adjust seasoning as needed. Put ½ cup of mayo aside to use for assembly. In a medium bowl, toss the remaining mayo with cabbage. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1-2 tablespoons of sesame oil and lightly fry marinated tofu until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Slice your baguette into four sandwiches and toast lightly. Spread with extra mayo and additional hoisin sauce. Place 2 slices of tofu in each sandwich and top with cabbage slaw and pickled veggies. (Drain the pickled veggies before placing on baguette.) Top with cilantro and fresh lime if you’d like. Serve and enjoy!
Storage: Leftover tofu and tahini mayo slaw will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Pickled veggies can be stored in a sealed mason jar in the fridge.
Tip: Toast the baguette before assembling sandwiches for extra flavor and crunch.
Dietary Preferences: Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free
Seasonality: Spring, Summer
July 13, 2022
Hi Karen, you can get coconut aminos at you local health food store! Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s should have it available.